Saturday, November 23, 2013

Justification for Remediation Project

The project I plan to remediate is an informational speech I was required to give for my public speaking class in the Fall of 2011 over Stephen King. Generally, the purpose of informational speeches is to either educate, persuade, entertain, or simply inform the audience about the subject of the speech.  In my case, my goal was a little bit of all of these things.  The main purpose was to inform my audience about King's biography and to educate them about the philanthropic, social, and educational impacts the author has had on the state of Maine, but I also wanted to entertain them and to persuade them to respect and admire the author in the same way I do.

I imagine my project will draw more on hypermediacy than transparency, as the angle I imagine taking with this project is an audio-visual approach.  I would like to create a website which would have a soundbite of  my voice giving the speech while still and moving images, along with hyperlinks to outside resources, would reinforce and remediate my words.  However, this project could have traces of transparency, as well, as the audience would be able to feel as though they were experiencing my speech in person through the soundbite.  It would be, as a take on what B&G so fondly reference from Strange Days, "not my speech, only better," because along with my speech would be resources available to help illustrate my points.

The action of illustration brings me to my next point - Unsworth's primitives. I see illustration and referring as close relatives, especially for my project.  Illustration would appear through the use of moving and still images, while referring would appear through hyperlinking.  I would like to include clips from King's films and still images of the covers of some of his books.  In this case, those visuals would serve as illustrations while the hyperlinks would be "referring."  Sampling will also occur, as there is no way my speech could cover all of King's life or all of his works, including works authored and works within the community.  Annotating will also likely make an appearance, as my illustrations and references will need some explanation.


No comments:

Post a Comment